Thursday, November 28, 2013

Birthdays matter




Happy Thanksgiving!

And happy birthday to me!

I’ve been thinking a lot of birthdays this month. Partly because a lot of people I love were born in the month of November, and partly because I decided to celebrate my birthday all month in an effort to keep learning how to love myself. Birthdays matter because people matter. Birthdays are a celebration of creation and identity. I’ve spent too many years believing lies and twisted truth about who I am and how God made me.

This year my birthday feels like change.

This year my birthday feels like the turning of a page, a marker of continuation in this journey of healing and freedom.

It feels like leaning into God’s presence and throwing down deep roots into the soil of His marvelous love.

It feels like practicing gratitude.
It feels like overflowing joy.

It feels like being bold, capable, and creative.

It feels like standing firm in truth that cannot be shaken and hope that anchors the soul.

I’m choosing to celebrate me this year like I would celebrate someone else.  Because after all, Jesus did say to love others as you love yourself. I would be horrified if I ever heard the words I sometimes speak to myself coming out of my mouth directed towards another person. It’s time to echo the words of truth and love I hear from God deep into my heart. It’s time to celebrate the beauty of His creation and stop ignoring that I AM His creation. I am fully, deeply, and purposefully created by the Creator of all things. And so are you. 

So this year on Thanksgiving I’m thankful for the gift of abundant life. I’m thankful for my sweet husband, and our wonderful families. I’m thankful for the dear women who have given me the gift of their time and wisdom as I do this thing called life.  I’m looking forward to a year of purposefully cultivating gratitude. And living like I mean it.

Oh, and while we’re on the topic of birthdays…
Two years ago TODAY I got the very best gift since my mama labored to bring me into this world. Here’s a little video documenting one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.




Micah Proposes to Abi from Abi Losli on Vimeo.

From Vimeo:
A real life, straight-from-the-cell-phone video of when Micah proposed. He proposed on my 21st birthday, and I was so surprised by his timing that I didn't know what to do with myself - other than say yes! Best decision.

Because of the cell phone quality capture, its really hard to hear. This is essentially what went down.
My mom wanted us to take some family pictures on my birthday, and then asked to get some of Micah and I. while we were posing and goofing off, Micah whispered in my ear that he had another gift for me. And then he got down on one knee.

This is the transcript that he typed up later:
Micah: The box was too big to hide in my pocket. And now my fingers are nervous and I can't get it out. Come on!
Abi: Oh my gosh....
Micah: Abigail, The past seven months have had their ups and downs but it's been good, it's been really good. And I would like to make seven months seventy years with you. You're the one for me. I love you. You're beautiful, you love people, you love God, you have a pure heart, I love you. Will you stand by my side? Will you be my partner? Will you marry me?
Abi: Yes.
Micah: It's been really hard to keep the secret for the past week or so.
Abi: Oh my gosh!
Lisse: Oh my gosh, Abi, you have no idea!
Abi: When did you decide to do this?
Micah: About a week ago.
Abi: Uhhh...
Micah: I talked to your dad on Thanksgiving morning.I woke up early and caught him before work.
Abi: Wow.

1 comment: